Sunday, May 10, 2015
Canyoning (Canyoneering) in Badian, Cebu, Philippines! The Best Adventure I had so far!
I did not have an idea what it is, all I am for, is to travel and explore! As explained to us by the guide, Mr. Choy, this is an extreme adventure sports. As defined by Wikipedia above, that is Canyoning or Canyoneering! I was excited!
The trip to Badian would be around 4-5 hours from Cebu South Terminal via bus. We stayed in Moalboal the night before so we will be able to get to Badian, earlier the following day. Badian will be about an hour trip from Moalboal. From Badian highway, we needed to ride "habal-habal" to get to the peak where we will start our Canyoning.
As we arrived in the site, we were asked to get ready, and put on our vests and head gears. We were also advised to put all other things, specially non-water resistant gadgets on the dry bags we brought along! Thanks to my travel buddies, who were amazingly prepared with everything. So we were able to bring cellphones along the way. Although, we didn't use it.
The first challenge is the 15-feet jump at the start.
We needed to jump to start, so we don't actually have a choice. Everyone will be looking at you if you don't jump immediately. So, it helps that you are pressured, and you will be able to jump! haha thankfully though, we are a bunch of jumpers, we needed no pressures, we just love jumping. :-)
The scenic place with the blue-green colored water, with the rock formation on the side, and the green trees' view are just amazingly stunning! I couldn't help but swim with my head up high, watching the scenery.
The track is not easy to traverse, but all worth the pain and adrenaline rush! The above pictures are all actual footage of my friends' go-pro cameras. The track includes, jumping on a cliff, jumping from rock to rock, trekking, swimming/diving, walking. The activity, would really test your stamina. I was armed with only chocolates as boosters. And yeah I survived.
The entire activity is around 4-5 hours. We started at around 9:30 in the morning and ended around 2:30 in the afternoon. When we reached the 30-ft jump (actually only around 25 to 27 ft), we had a break. Snack! Then I had my highest jump so far.
Was it exhausting? Yes! Very exhausting. In fact, while we were walking/trekking downstream, I can feel that my feet is hurting, but I have no choice, I needed to complete the activity. After around 9 jumps, and several hundreds of steps if not thousands, we went solid trekking for couple of minutes and no more jumping. As we approach Kawasan falls, we have seen people enjoying the waters. The waters we swam and jumped on earlier.
I was enchanted with the nature's beauty found in the farthest top of Kawasan falls, where we started our Canyoning. And yes, it's a must-do for all adventurers! It was my best so far.
I was advised that we needed to pay
P750 each person for the guide
P200 for both entrance (P100) and exit (P100)
P70 for the multicab from Moalboal to Badian
Things to bring and wear on a canyoning activity:
1. Dry bag - you'd definitely need this. You will be 200% going to get wet. So don't risk! Save your phones! And other non water-resistant items.
2. GoPro cameras (with monopods) - because they are waterproof, they are mostly good for documenting the entire activity! You might do it just for once, so better be ready for what you need.
3. Rash Guard - it's advisable because although it gets wet, it easily dries up. And well, it is relatively lighter to wear. I used mine, from Maui and Sons.
4. Food - snack items are advised to be brought since the activity will take you around 4-5 hours, you'll have to stop and have a break. This would include bottled water.
5. Aqua Shoes - it is advisable, since you will have all those swimming and jumping activities. Rubber shoes are good alternatives (although it's heavy to wear so choose the lightest one coz you're gonna be swimming remember?). I used however, not aqua shoes nor rubber shoes, I used rubber sandals of Sandugo. It is tied around so it does not easily loosen up when I swim or jump.
I think, Canyoning, got me. I've been looking for places to go next. I wanna do it again. I would love to do it again in Badian, but if there are still places to explore too, I'd love to do it there as well.
My Canyoning experience, is the best so far! Thank you Brad R.A. for getting me to join you in this activity! I was overwhelmed, and fell in love with adventure once again!
Below I am sharing with you more of the pictures we took. Enjoy watching! And hopefully you'll visit Badian, Cebu as well. :-) Two Thumbs Up for Cebu's Canyoning!
If you want to try this one, Mr. Choy Daruca, is the guide to get. Contact him via facebook here.
Some of the pictures of their Canyoneering are available on his timeline too. :-)
I'd love to know what you think of this post:
HTML Comment Box is loading comments...